I have just finished 3 intense days of music adjudicating local talent. Here are some observations and thoughts.
1) There are definite strengths and weaknesses across the full spectrum of students.
2) I wonder what weaknesses are visible in my students’ playing?
3) Pay attention to the smallest detail. Every note, dote, black mark has a purpose.
4) Don’t teach music because you are under pressure for the kids to perform. Actually lay the foundations securely even if it means revisiting basics and teaching at a slower pace.
5) Don’t teach parrot fashion – get the students to understand every rhythm and every note.
6) Teach stylistically – especially Baroque touch – semi-detached notes.
7) Make music Fun – Sometimes we are too stuck-up/traditional and lose the relevancy of the joy of teaching music and its holistic effect on education, sport, self-worth etc.
If teaching music is no longer a passion, then ………